Trying to predict the real estate market may seem impossible. There is no way to know what the future holds for your home, but you can make educated decisions based on what’s happened in past real estate cycles. Here are some clever tips to sell your home in 2016.
- Price the Home Right: The debate over overpricing vs. underpricing is as old as time. The overprice side believes that you simply ask for more money and then receive more. However, the underprice side believes that by asking for a little less than what comparable properties are selling for, this will draw a lot of attention to your house and often times start a bidding war that will drive the price back up. Many real estate agents have been advising a slight underprice when selling homes. This is because buyers are extremely savvy these days and know bloated asking prices when they see them, they are likely to quickly buy when they see a good price. When you list with Molly McGrory, I will price your home right, based on market value and current local sales prices.
- Home Staging Works: Presenting your home in the best light possible should be a given, but it’s especially important during a buyers’ market. Increasing interest rates are pushing us into a buyers’ market because people are preferring to not move as a means to save money. Here are some tips to make your property stand out during a buyer’s market like were facing here in 2017:
- Clean from top to bottom
- Make sure your windows and glass doors are clear
- Put out fresh fruit or flowers on the kitchen table and
- Keep clean towels on the bathroom counters, and clean out the hampers
- Give each room a purpose, and de-clutter
- Clean out the closets and box up what you don’t need.
- Time the Sale: Right now is a great time to put your house on the market for a quick sale. Since 2016 is an election year, it’s better to sell early.
- Target Millennials: For 2017, your target market will be millennials: individuals aged 18-34. Baby boomers will begin to cash out of their houses, putting more on the market. An increased inventory of homes combined with an improving job market is enabling more millennials to become home buyers. With this in mind, stage it to sell to this age group, and you may sell it faster.
I would love to talk to you about your home sale!